For group bookings please contact
017687 77246 or
Helen Mackey, Expedition Medicine Course, March 2015
In an emergency, who will help us? In the Lake District National Park, as in other mountain environments throughout the UK, there is a voluntary service called the Mountain Rescue Team. In exceptional water-related emergencies, such as flooding, help may also come from the volunteers of the coast-based Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI). These teams of volunteers are highly trained and very dedicated.
In this module we can learn about the dangers of our environment and how to stay safe, avoiding the need to call the Mountain Rescue Team. We will learn about safe hill craft and mountain navigation techniques. We can then apply our navigation skills and safety precautions to our own walk.
We will learn of some case studies where the Mountain Rescue Team has helped people in a variety of different circumstances. We can also visit the coast and learn about coastal safety and the role of the RNLI.
We can explore the work of the Mountain Rescue and the RNLI: how do they raise money and help others? How do the local communities support the volunteers who do such vital emergency work? How do the teams raise money themselves?
- Learn how to use a map and compass and use these skills to safely navigate a walking route.
- Design questionnaires and interviews to investigate the importance of volunteering.
- Create information posters about the hazards of mountain, lake, river, and coastal environments.
- Listen to a talk by a member of the local Mountain Rescue Team.
- Use role play to simulate a mountain rescue scenario.
- Take part in a first aid session, specifically for mountain environments.
- Learn how to prepare for an expedition, to minimise the risk of emergencies.
Group trips on the Keswick Launch
Birmingham University Wilderness Medicine Students
Working together on Derwent Water
Self catering kitchen
Barrow Cascade: the waterfall in our grounds
Carving of the Green Man in Cartmel Priory
Classrooms in the forest
Raft building (and floating!)
Be a Viking for a day!